Updated: Jul 17
At Leeds City Council, we feel next week will be a great week where we can celebrate and promote the work of the forces from Leeds as well as nationally and internationally. For the last few months we have been featuring different posts from your organisations and we will continue to do so over the next week.
Here is the plan for next week, we hope that you will fly the flag, tweet a photo of yourself saluting, display the poster, listen to the radio and enjoy a picnic with your family.
Activity from Saturday 20 June – Saturday 27 June 2020
- The Armed Forces Day social media campaign we will showcase and highlight the work of the armed forces family from cadet to veterans and our serving forces and families. If you do not already follow us @LeedsAFD on Facebook and Twitter please do and share our messages. We’ve got some great videos the group has sent us going out this week and on the day, follow our Facebook and Twitter throughout to see them.
- Fly the Armed Forces flags in your gardens, this can be your regimental flag, the AFD official flag logo, your national flag or the union flag. Don’t worry if you don’t have a flag pole, display it in your window. We will be flying the Armed Forces day flag on the Town Hall and Civic Hall
- The Town Hall and the Civic Hall will light up red white and blue to celebrate the forces
- #SaluteOurForces join the online public campaign to pay tribute to the British Armed Forces community. Please help to boost the scheme by sharing your photo on your own social media platforms using the #LeedsAFD20 #SaluteOurForces tag @LeedsAFD and @ArmedForcesDay. When sharing please include a message encouraging others to join in, for example:
“You can pay tribute to the British Armed Forces community on @LeedsAFD by posting a photo or video of yourself or your family, friends and colleagues saluting using the hashtags #SaluteOurForces #LeedsAFD20”
- Download our Salute the Forces Thank you poster and display it in your window colour it in or leave it plain. We have attached the image for you to host on your website and share on social media
Armed Forces Day: Saturday 27 June
- Armed Forces Day broadcast listen to ChapelFM for our all-day exclusive AFD radio broadcast – 10 am – 4 pm either through 94.6fm or stream it from their website ChapelFM. We have interviews, music and you can dedicate a song to a loved one. The schedule for the day will be available on their website from next week: https://www.chapelfm.co.uk/ Please listen in and spread the word about this special broadcast. Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/chapelfm/ Twitter - https://twitter.com/chapelfm/
- Host an Armed Forces Day tea party invite families to celebrate Armed Forces day through socially distanced garden parties and toasts to the services past, present and future.
The three Armed Forces Councillor champions (Cllr Dowson, Cllr Caroline Gruen and Cllr Iqbal) and ourselves are grateful for all your hard work and input into this alternative celebration of Armed Forces Day, we hope you all enjoy the day.